Monday, January 05, 2009

New Year, New Reality

It's already five days deep into the new year and I'm still feeling hungover from all the holiday "cheer." Call me a grinch if you will, but the holidays are feeling less and less like the holidays! They're getting more and more jam packed with events, things to do, people to shop for... and less and less time to myself.  The last three to four weeks are a BLURR to me... the memories play back in fast forward in my head.

Please please don't misunderstand... I do these things and go to these places because I want to and not because I feel obligated... of course I love my friends and family. Yes, I know.. the holiday season is a time for giving. So now that I've given myself to the holidays and taken a break from my own reality, January has given me a huge SLAP in the face. A slap of reality.

The backhand comes in the form of a huge Visa bill, a large number on the weigh scale and most importantly a pending decision about the future of my career. The weight that I've packed on does concern me.. but i know that basketball and volleyball will work itself back into my weekly routine soon enough. Now, the reality of waking up unemployed has undoubtedly hit me the hardest.. the uncertainty of when my next pay check will be has never been comfortable (I don't know how all you freelancers do it!).

As I sit here at my desk typing away, I feel my shoulders tighten up.. the stress is building. 2009 is going to be a big year for me. 2009 is going to be the year that 2008 was supposed to be! Some big decisions are going to be made... and there's going to be a ton of work to go along with those decisions... all of it will amounting to catapulting my life into adulthood. NO that doesn't mean I'm still a virgin stoopid! What it means is that I have to work twice as hard this year.. to make up for all the procrastination. Life around me has certainly moved on while I feel like I have stood still (in my career) for the past five years. Time to get a move on Rich and get to that next Rich Day.

No comments: